Dubai, sometimes referred to as the land of dreams has become the cornerstone of tourist destinations. Its ever-expanding infrastructure, glamorous lifestyle, luxury hotels, and shopping malls act as magnets for tourists around the globe. As per Dubai’s Department of Economy and Tourism, every year on average Dubai receives around 7-8 million tourists. Such a promising number has made Dubai the optimum place to obtain a tour guide license.
The following article is the perfect guide for beginners who wish to earn their tour guide license in Dubai and achieve the career of their dreams. This article will walk you through all the important steps that are required for obtaining the license as operating without one can have serious legal implications.
Why Become a Tour Guide in Dubai
Dubai’s thriving tourism sector has created numerous job opportunities for various sectors. The influx of tourists every year makes it an ideal place to become a licensed tourist guide. There are several reasons why Dubai has garnered so much prestige for its tourism sector. Here are a few reasons why you should consider entering Dubai’s tourism sector:
- Dubai’s multiethnic population attracts tourists from various parts of the world. As a licensed guide this will give you the exposure you require to hone your skill set.
- Travel enthusiasts are enticed by Dubai’s iconic monuments such as the Burj Khalifa, Museum of the Future, Dubai Frame, etc.
- Dubai is the most travel-friendly city, ranking as the third-safest city for solo female travelers.
- Home to one of the largest malls in the world, known as the Dubai Mall, Dubai certainly has acquired a name for itself in the retail industry due to comparatively lower taxes on luxury items.
- If a fixed schedule is what you abhor, Dubai’s tourism sector also has ample opportunities for freelancers. You can easily control your work schedule and be selective about your clients as well.
- Dubai’s flexible corporate guidelines make it an optimum workplace.
How to Establish a Tourism Company in Dubai
The first step to start a travel agency in Dubai is to get a travel and tourism license issued by the Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM), Dubai. The average fee for the license application in Dubai starts from around AED 14,900*. However, this number majorly depends on the type of company you want to register. Here is a step-by-step procedure you need to follow:
- To get started, you must pay the registration fee for the approval of the license.
- After the approval, you can now register the name of your travel agency and acquire the sanction for the use of that trade name. (Tip for our readers: Use a catchy name so that you may stand out from the rest of the companies and attract more clientele)
- An insurance policy must be given to the license office.
- The final step is to provide a lease agreement along with a copy as well as the blueprint of the office.
The tour and travel licenses in Dubai are broadly of three types.
- Inbound Tour Operator license: Such a license gives you the ability to conduct Inbound tours which are primarily organized for foreigners who come to Dubai for meetings, conferences, or events.
- Outbound Tour Operator license: As the name itself suggests outbound license gives you the ability to arrange tours not only within Dubai but outside it as well. It gives you the added benefit of arranging meetings, tours, and conferences on an international level.
- Travel agent license: With such a license in hand you can easily become a travel agent and conduct business outside the country such as selling air tickets. It also allows you to assist tourists with visas, accommodations, etc.
(Note: Selection of the license depends entirely upon the kind of package and services you plan to offer to your customers. A tip for our readers is to apply for all three licenses to ensure that you extract the maximum benefit from your company)
The Process for Obtaining a Dubai Tour Guide License
Getting a Tour Guide Evaluation Application: Before you apply for the evaluation, it is advisable to collect all the necessary documents required for the application process which include:
- A letter of no objection.
- A certificate of police clearance.
- An academic certificate
- A certificate of competency in English
- Certificate of First Aid
- Emirates ID
- A passport-size picture
(Disclaimer: Please note that these must all be original documents certified by the competent authorities as presenting fraudulent documents will lead to serious legal consequences)
Once the initial eligibility criteria are met, you can proceed to the next stage, which is qualifying for the unified tour guide license test. To qualify for the test, you should be well-versed in the history and culture of Dubai. You also need to acquire the practical skill set to conduct a tour. To evaluate your caliber, the evaluation may consist of a written exam, a practical test, and an interview.
Application Process for the Licence
After you successfully qualify the test, you can now apply for the tour guide license. This process is regulated by the DCTM, which conducts a thorough examination of the applicant to ensure the maintenance of the high standards that Dubai is known for. The following are some key facts regarding the license:
- A Valid Tour guide badge issued by the DCTM (Valid only for 1 year and must be renewed)
- A successful completion of the Tour Guide Award Programme.
- To renew their tour guide license applicants are required to attend the annual refresher course.
- A fine may be imposed on anyone who fails to renew their badge for two years in a row.
- Under no circumstances is a tour guide allowed to remove their badge.
Tour Guide license cost in Dubai
There is a certain expenditure involved in obtaining a tour guide license in Dubai. As mentioned above this includes your training program, license application, examination fee, etc. Nonetheless becoming a licensed tourist guide will surely boost your professional career. It will give you the opportunity to expand your business network and meet travelers from various parts of the world. Not only will it lead to professional success but in addition will also give you personal gratification. (In order to get an exact estimation of cost please contact Shuraa Business Setup
Shuraa is the one-stop solution!
Joining any new industry or starting any new business can indeed be a daunting task. However here at Shuraa, we believe nothing is unmanageable if you know the right direction.
Shuraa is a leading business setup company in the UAE that has helped over 50,000 entrepreneurs establish their businesses in the UAE. Shuraa takes care of everything for you, from getting you the trade license for your company to getting your investor visa processed, bank account setup, and documentation, we do it all!
If you are passionate about all things travel and wish to obtain your Tour guide license, seamlessly book your appointment with our consultants at Shuraa Business Setup.
Now is the moment to get your license. Reach out to Shuraa Business setup for personalized guidance.